Executive Office: Chief Executive Officer • President • Vice President/general Manager (major Music Publisher)
Publishers are song salesmen. They are in the business of obtaining copyrights by signing staff writers or purchasing existing catalog and exploiting their use. They do this by licensing song rights to artists, record companies, film and television studios, and advertisers. The publisher negotiates and issues licenses for songs, collects earnings, and ensures that proper royalties are paid. Publishers also act as managers of the songwriter's career. They critique newly written songs and give creative input, publicize the writer's achievements, and set career goals. An essential role of the publisher is to introduce the writer to other songwriters, artists, and producers with whom they may co-write or pitch songs to. Publishers also may try to secure recording contracts for artist/writers or production jobs for producer/writers.
This chapter focuses on five areas of music publishing: Executive Office; Creative Services; Film, Television and Advertising Licensing; Business Affairs; and International. Similar names are often used to define departments within large publishing firms, while smaller companies may only divide the responsibilities into Creative Services and Business Affairs or Administration.
- ON TOUR - Rehearsal And Storage Facility: General Manager • Office Manager • Operations Manager, Production: Production Designer And Director • Set And Lighting Designer
- MUSIC FOR FILM, TELEVISION, ADVERTISING, AND NEW MEDIA - Creative: Vice President • Senior Vice President Of Music (film Studio), President Or Vice President Of Music
- MUSIC PUBLISHING - Executive Office: Chief Executive Officer • President • Vice President/general Manager (major Music Publisher)
- MUSIC PUBLISHING - President • Vice President • General Manager (independent Or Smaller Music Publisher)
- MUSIC PUBLISHING - Creative Services: Vice President/general Manager Of Creative Services • General Manager Of Music Publishing (major Music Publisher)
- MUSIC PUBLISHING - Creative Manager • Professional Manager • Song Plugger • Vice President Creative Services
- MUSIC PUBLISHING - Library Manager • Tape Room Manager
- MUSIC PUBLISHING - Film, Television, And Advertising Licensing: Vice President Film Television Music Licensing
- MUSIC PUBLISHING - Business Affairs: Legal And Business Affairs • Finance • Head Of Finance/administration
- MUSIC PUBLISHING - Copyright Administration And Licensing
- MUSIC PUBLISHING - International: Senior Vice President • Vice President • Director (international)
- MUSIC PUBLISHING - Senior Vice President • Vice President • Director (international Administration)