Basic Philosophy, Choosing Osteopathic Medicine, Osteopathic Education, Training, And Certification, Educational Data
Choosing osteopathic medicine
Osteopathic education, training, and certification
Relationship between osteopathic and allopathic medicine
The osteopathic scene in a nutshell
Osteopathic medical school profiles
Aside from the 124 standard, or allopathic, medical schools, there are 19 osteopathic schools in the United States, which, in a recent year, had an enrollment of 10,300 students. There were more than 50,000 osteopathic physicians listed in the directory published by the American Osteopathic Association. Thus, this branch of medicine contributes a significant number of professionals to the physicians' pool. Over the past several years, interest in osteopathy has intensified significantly. This is reflected by an overall increase in enrollment, including women and minority students, and a new school—the nineteenth. For this reason, the philosophy, educational data, admission prospects, and training program leading to the Doctor of Osteopathy, or DO degree, are outlined.
THE OSTEOPATHIC SCENE IN A NUTSHELL
Table 14.1 reflects the admissions picture at the osteopathic medical schools presently in operation.
Note: Applications for most osteopathic schools are processed by a centralized application service, the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service (AACOMAS). To secure an application, write to AACOMAS, 5550 Friendship Boulevard, Suite 310, Chevy Chase, MD 20815-7231.
- Physicians and Medicine in the Twenty-first Century - The Challenge, Premedical Education, Admission To Medical School, Medical School Education, Medical Students
- Opportunities for Women - Historical Overview, Women's Health Issues, Medicine: A Career For Women, Doors Are Open
- Osteopathic Medicine - Basic Philosophy
- Osteopathic Medicine - Choosing Osteopathic Medicine
- Osteopathic Medicine - Osteopathic Education, Training, And Certification
- Osteopathic Medicine - Educational Data
- Osteopathic Medicine - Admission Prospects
- Osteopathic Medicine - Relationship Between Osteopathic And Allopathic Medicine
- Osteopathic Medicine - Financial Assistance
- Osteopathic Medicine - Osteopathic Medical School Profiles