Job Title: Production Designer, Job Title: Production Designer, Commercials, Job Title: Art Director
Remove the actors from the set, and everything else you see falls under the direction of the Art Department. Responsibilities vary according to the size and scope of a production, with smaller projects requiring that one person fill several positions. Those positions include:
- • Production Designer: conceptualize and design the project's total look.
- • Art Director: oversee the conversion of artistic vision into physical reality.
- • Assistant Art Director: more than just an assistant, the assistant art director is assigned responsibility for various areas of the art director's duties.
- • Set Designer: give design input and draft the plans used to build the set.
- • Art Department Coordinator: manages the art department office and budgets.
- • Model Builder: build scale models of sets for approval prior to construction.
- • Construction Coordinator: oversee the carpenters who actually build the set.
- • Set Decorator: create and/or locate all the furnishings necessary to dress the set.
- • Leadman: manage the set dressers.
- • Set Dressers/Swing Gang: move, place, pack, and store the set furnishings.
- • On-Set Dresser: maintain continuity of the set during filming.
- • Shopper: do the legwork of finding the props or furniture items the Set Decorator needs.
- • Propmaster: find and maintain those props that the actors will handle.
- • Prop Man: distribute and collect the hand props to the actors for each scene.
- • Propmaker: create or alter those props that cannot be rented or purchased.
- • Storyboard Artist: convert the director's, art director's, or production designer's vision into a sequence of sketches that guide the rest of the crew to achieving a cohesive presentation.
- • Greensman (Nursery): provide, place, and maintain real or artificial plants and flowers.
- • Food Stylist: provide any food or drink that will be used or shown during a scene.
- CAMERA DEPARTMENT - Job Title: Cinematographer Or Director Of Photography (dp), Job Title: Camera Operator, Job Title: Steadicam Operator
- APPENDIX VI—BOOKS
- ART DEPARTMENT - Job Title: Production Designer
- ART DEPARTMENT - Job Title: Production Designer, Commercials
- ART DEPARTMENT - Job Title: Art Director
- ART DEPARTMENT - Job Title: Set Designer
- ART DEPARTMENT - Job Title: Art Department Coordinator
- ART DEPARTMENT - Job Title: Art Department Swing Or Swing Gang
- ART DEPARTMENT - Job Title: On Set Dresser
- ART DEPARTMENT - Job Title: Prop Master, Property Master
- ART DEPARTMENT - Job Title: Prop Assistant, Assistant Props, Or Property Assistant
- ART DEPARTMENT - Job Title: Storyboard Artist